SHORT Re: Suggestion: "fix" assert(obj)

Jascha Wetzel firstname at mainia.de
Sat Jun 16 16:02:21 PDT 2007

Tom S wrote:
> Uh... I just don't feel like teaching all my potential testers what a
> debugger is, and that they should always run the game from within the
> debugger, or I won't be able to help when something goes wrong :/

you don't need to. just write a batch file that runs your program in the
debugger and make it the default way to start the game for the testers.
you'll have

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION(0xc0000005) at _Dmain
debugees\debuggee.d:237 (0x00402768)

instead of

Error: Access Violation

The problem with access violations is that the CPU raises them, the OS
handles them and throws the exception. In order to have the same info in
those exceptions as we have in D exceptions, they need to be intercepted
and decorated with filenames and source line numbers - data that is
available at runtime only from debug symbols. That means, that there
needs to be a runtime that can interpret debug symbols and that
basically is shipping half a debugger with the executable.