Why is 2.0 in the works already?

Jascha Wetzel firstname at mainia.de
Mon Jun 18 10:29:23 PDT 2007

it's as important to improve the language as to improve it's major
implementation. they're two different things, though, and shouldn't
mutually block each other's progress.

i was starting out writing the paragraph below, but then it boiled down
to the 2 sentences above ;)

dividing development into creation and maintenance, i think tasks from
these two categories can and should be interleaved or parallel. that is
mainly because the kind of work they require is very different and
restricting oneself to one category is restricting the overall
efficiency of the development process.
there are exceptions to this where, by creating new things before fixing
others, you raise problems to the power of what they would be if they're
fixed first, but in many cases the problem sets are completely or
largely disjoint. this, to my understanding, is the case in the changes
we've seen in D 2.0.
it is the overall feature-set * stability factor that makes the project
valuable. you can improve on both sides to improve the project.
particularly the const-complex is a feature that, imho, put D in a
not-yet-grown-up state if compared to C++.