carreer opportunities

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 18:49:48 PDT 2007

llee wrote:
> I'm currently enrolled in Goucher college as a computer science major. I've been programming in D for several years as a hobby, and would like to pursue it as a career. It seems that the market is dominated by C++ and D programmers will have a difficult time finding employment. Does anyone know of any programming firms looking for people possessing skills in D? It's unfortunate since D seems superior to both C, and C++. Hopefully the situation will change in a few years as D increases in popularity.
> P.S. There are currently a number of certifications that C++ programmers can pursue to demonstrate their knowledge of the language. Are there any available for the D community?

D has little commercial countenance at present. Most places either value
performance or can go with a virtual machine with a giant standard
library. If the former, C++ and C have much wider support and are more
stable in terms of language features and compilers. If the latter, D
doesn't have a sufficient collection of libraries to interest them.

Currently, the best (read: most popular) options are Java, C++, and C#
if you want to do mainstream applications development, C and C++ if you
want to do systems work.

It's also good to have experience in Python and Perl these days, and
maybe Ruby. Bourne scripting, too, if you're doing anything that might
possibly relate to Unix.

But D? I like it, it's my favorite language...it's got pretty much no
commercial prospects for the next year. It's a matter of libraries,
politics, and current investments.