D const design rationale (GUIs)

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Jun 27 00:17:59 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:

>> If I'd used just C++, the GUI coding would have driven me completely
>> insane.  If I'd been restricted to an interpreted language, our app
>> would have been slow as molasses.  By using Python, we got the best of
>> both worlds :)
>
> Everyone knows that C++ sucks for writing GUIs, I hope to do much better
> with D.

On the other hand, Objective-C is very nice for writing GUIs with and
is what I am using while the D language and the D libraries grows up.

It also allows for interfacing with C (reads C headers) and with C++
(understands C++ objects), so I don't have to wrap or port those over.

The best part is still the IDE (Project Builder/Xcode) and the RAD tool
(Interface Builder), but the objc language blends very well with these.

Much nicer than how it was in legacy environments like Win32 or MacOS,
and less writing than what I get with lowlevel tools like C and GTK+...

If only it was more portable and open source, it would be the solution.
Meanwhile, I'll have to make do with D (and Code::Blocks and wxWidgets).

But when the language specification and standard library issues with D
are sorted, some GUI APIs are looking good: http://clarographics.org/

--anders