carreer opportunities

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jun 27 11:12:59 PDT 2007

John Demme wrote:
> Yeah- it's unfortunate.  I generally put the acronyms and buzzwords in my
> resume as well, for those reasons.  It's not that I refuse to go out for
> jobs like that, they just get marked down in my book.  Same goes for jobs
> where I gotta go through HR or a headhunter.  I've applied for them, but
> not with the same vigor.  I'd much rather work for a small company where
> the guy doing the hiring knows that HR and headhunters aren't much better
> than a decent grep!  (Read: the guy wants smarts, not buzzwords)... In my
> (albeight limited experience) these are the environments where ya get the
> most exposure to experience.

Lots of larger companies have to sift through vast quantities of
resumes. So they use (you guessed it) computer programs to do the
initial sort. Those programs are pretty dumb, and just pull out keyword
or phrase matches.

So, if you don't use the buzzwords, no human will ever even see your resume.

Of course, a much better way to get jobs is by cultivating relationships
with people in your field. Around the Seattle area, coming to the NWCPP
meetings is a very good way to get to know the local programming community.