Linking on windows

Johan Granberg lijat.meREM at OVEgmail.com
Thu Jun 28 03:16:57 PDT 2007

Henning Hasemann wrote:

> I'm currently working on a project that uses SDL with a static binding.
> Up to know I developed under linux but since it should be
> multi-platform I thought it would be a good idea to test it on windows.
>
> The problem is that optlink (link.exe) says the SDL-lib would not be a
> valid library (the VC one the mingw one ".a" does not work at all as
> expected).
>
> I tried numerous other linkers (lcclnk, the one from VC express, ...)
> They in turn dont seem to understand the obj-format produced by dmd, so
> I assume that is a special format thats not compatible with VC stuff?
>
> Why does optlink not eat SDL? Do I have to compile it by hand with a
> digitalmars C compiler? (Would be a pain for me under windows)
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Henning

Visual studio and dmc uses different object fromats so to link libs and
object files together they have to be produced by the same tool or
converted to the right format (I think there was a tool that did that
floating around somewhere).