ip claims?

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 5 19:53:13 PST 2007

Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 18:30:54 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> Hasan Aljudy wrote:
>>> Well sure it's legally correct .. (or well, who knows, maybe not .. I'm
>>> not a lawyer), but that's exactly my point; why does it have to be hard
>>> to understand if it needs to be legally correct?
>> I'm not seeing what's hard to understand about it.
>
> "
> Note: all D users agree that by downloading and using D, or reading the
> D specs, they will explicitly identify any claims to intellectual
> property rights with a copyright or patent notice in any posted or
> emailed feedback sent to Digital Mars.
> "
>
> The word 'will' is ambiguous to my mind. It could be read as ...
>
> "Note: all D users agree that by downloading and using D, or reading the
> D specs, they _thereby already_ explicitly identify any claims to
> intellectual property rights with a copyright or patent notice in any
> posted or emailed feedback sent to Digital Mars.
> "
>
> But that doesn't make a lot of sense so it becomes a bit of a challenge to
> understand your intent. However I think you mean more like ...
>
> "
> Note: all D users agree that, as a consequence of either downloading and
> using D or reading the D specs, they must explicitly identify any claims to
> intellectual property rights in anything posted or emailed to Digital Mars
> by including a copyright or patent notice along with the item sent.
> "

I'd be tempted to drop a significant chunk of that and turn it into:

Anything posted or emailed to Digital Mars must explicitly identify any
claims to intellectual property rights by including a copyright or
patent notice along with the item sent.

But I suppose that there's some legal reason why some action must be
taken prior to the requirements being enforceable or some such.

Later,
Brad