playing around with D

Wed Mar 7 00:29:46 PST 2007

Don Clugston wrote:

> Given how common static assert(0) is, I wonder if something could be
> done to improve the error message quality in the
> "static assert(0, "xxx")" case?
>
> file.d(58): static assert  (0) is false, "xxx"
>
> Maybe drop out the "(0) is false" bit, since it doesn't seem to add much
> value, changing it to something like:
>
> file.d(58): static assert, "xxx"
>
> Or even drop the 'static assert' bit entirely, and just display "xxx".

I don't think dropping the 'static assert' bit is a good idea (at least,
without replacing it with something of similar meaning). I think it's a
good thing that static asserts are clearly distinct from
compiler-generated errors. The exact wording could be different but it
should be clear that this is an error because the author of the code
explicitly _made_ it one, not because of any inherent language rule
(other than the one on static assert, obviously).