digitalmars.D vs digitalmars.D.announce

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 7 10:15:08 PST 2007

BCS wrote:
> Knud Soerensen wrote:
>> On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 23:34:38 -0800, Brad Roberts wrote:
>>

>>> It seems to me that the .announce newsgroup is being used as much
>>> more than an announcement list.  It's essentially a second version of
>>> digitalmars.D.  What would it take to change .announce back to being
>>> an announcement only newsgroup?  It'd help keep the noise down for
>>> people who only want to track, uh, announcements.
>>>
>>> Sigh,
>>> Brad
>>

>> Brad what are you talking about ??
>> Do you suggest that people shouldn't be allow to reply on announcement,
>> or are you say that you news read is incapable of showing a thread
>> view ;-)
>
> my thought exactly

The client I use is perfectly capable of threading, but that's not the
point.

The point is that the announcement newsgroup isn't being used as an
announcement newsgroup.  The purpose of having one separate from a
general discussion newsgroup is to have a high signal low noise specific
place for real announcements.

It's not a difficult concept.

Later,
Brad