digitalmars.D vs digitalmars.D.announce

janderson askme at me.com
Wed Mar 7 21:20:51 PST 2007

Knud Soerensen wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:15:08 -0800, Brad Roberts wrote:
>
>> BCS wrote:

>>> my thought exactly
>> The client I use is perfectly capable of threading, but that's not the
>> point.
>>
>> The point is that the announcement newsgroup isn't being used as an
>> announcement newsgroup.  The purpose of having one separate from a
>> general discussion newsgroup is to have a high signal low noise specific
>> place for real announcements.
>>
>> It's not a difficult concept.
>>
>> Later,
>> Brad
>
> I get the concept but I don't understand your reason for the suggestion.
> Why don't you just read the first post in each tread ?? (or get your
> newsreader to filter everything else away.)
>
> I really like the announcement newsgroup as it is.
>
> Knud

Personally I don't mind announcements being replied to however they
often they do go off track.  Things like feature start being discussed
ect...  Also there have been a few announcements that I would not
consider announcements.

Sometimes someone mentions something they posted a few days back and I
don't have a clue.  It often turns up buried in the announce group.

I think a polite user-driven redirection email would suffice.  ie -> see
answer in newsgroup.X.  Or perhaps a little message associated with each
newsgroup on the Digitalmars webpage detailing what each is about would
help (and a link to some wiki page for more details).

I'm however not to fussed about this issue either.