Solutions to the TypeInfo dependency injection issue?

Nathan Petrelli npetrelli at klassmaster.com
Thu Mar 8 10:01:51 PST 2007

I'm referring to the issue raised by Tango developers about a TypeInfo for char[][] inflating the .EXE size by importing unneeded modules.

The solution given by Walter to this issue was carefully/painfully examination of object file symbols to determine the correct order of linking.

Are other solutions been planned or considered?

Because I don't think this is a long term solution for big projects, specially if an IDE is been used (Most of them don't even let you specify the compilation order of files).

I think it would be possible to build a tool that analyzes object files and determines the optimal order in most cases, but this seems like a hack on par with the moc compiler of the Qt project. A hack that's only needed to supply a deficiency of the compiler.