Pop3 connection with D

Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Mar 8 17:32:53 PST 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) wrote:
>>
>> Stepping through was of course possible and useful. The main
>> difference was that stepping through manually-written code was
>> replaced by stepping through the more compact templated code. The
>> instantiation types are different and therefore different actual
>> binary code maps to the same source line.
>
> It sounds like you're describing debugging C++ template code.  Would the
> same thing be possible with code generated from strings in D via mixin?
>  I suppose the compiler could output source files to pair with the
> object files, but beyond that I don't see how this could be done.

Shriram Krishnamurthi has done work on macros that allow traceability
back to the source code of the macro, but probably that won't be doable
for string-generated code.

We need to devise a solution to that; for example, for each file blah.d
that contains mixins, the compiler could automatically generate
blah.d.expanded and make debugging info point into that file.

Andrei