Idea: Run Time Compilation

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Fri Mar 9 07:39:06 PST 2007

Since Walter is in the habit of adding super advanced features to D, I
thought it possible that this one might eventually make it in.  As always,
please let me know if I'm way off base.

What if we could invoke the compiler from an application at run time and
generate a function that would be instantiated on the heap?  The function
would be defined by a text string and would be invoked via a function
pointer or delegate.  This would allow a script-like capability with
fully-optimized performance provided by the D compiler.  I think the D
compiler would be ideal for this since it is so fast.  Since the method
would be allocated on the heap dynamically, it could also be removed when it
is done being used.

Thoughts?

-Craig