Associative Arrays

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 08:57:29 PDT 2007

Dan Wrote:

> Walter, what's happening with them?
>
> Last I checked, I couldn't use practically anything of them:
>
> const char[] TEXT_x = "x";
> int[char[]] x;
>
> x.length = 1; // doesn't work, no property length

Of course it doesn't.  You can't set the length of an AA:
- you can't use it to add elements, because an AA element cannot exist without a key
- you can't use it to remove elements, as how would it know which to remove?

> x["hello"] = 1; // doesn't work, array out of bounds
> x[TEXT_x] = 1; // doesn't work, array out of bounds

Works for me (DMD 1.009, Win98SE).  Which version and OS are causing a problem for you?

<snip>
> Is it possible to use opIndex etc to override associatives?

What do you mean?

Stewart.