The future of the Windows API header translation project

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Mar 16 12:22:58 PDT 2007

Dan wrote:
> Stewart Gordon Wrote:
>
>> Windows Vista is now here.  Vista-new API features will need to be included
 >> sooner or later.  But can we really do anything but wait for MinGW
to be
 >> updated to Vista?
>
> Vista is evil.  That said, we'll still need headers for it.  Maybe I'm not
> understanding the details when I ask why that requires anything but the
 > Vista C header files?

The Microsoft headers are copyrighted.  And while I don't understand why
MS would possibly care that their headers were ported to a new
programming language (since doing so may actually increase the use of
their platform/library/whatever, and the MS libraries themselves must
still be available for the ported headers to function), it's safest to
honor the copyright anyway.  The easiest way to do this is to port
someone else's version of these headers instead, and the MinGW ones have
a much less restrictive copyright associated with them.

Sean