Extended Type Design.

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 16 12:26:19 PDT 2007

kris wrote:
> BTW, you've also mentioned changing "inout" to "ref" instead? That would
> probably break more code than a renaming of const; I know both Tango and
> Mango use inout quite a bit, but I'm happy to change those as necessary.
> Other people likely feel the same way.

Changing inout to ref would be a very long process in several stages:

1) Adding ref as a keyword and documenting its usage
2) Recommending changing usage from 'inout' to 'ref'
3) Removing 'inout' from the documentation
4) Producing a warning on 'inout' with -w switch
5) Deprecating 'inout'
6) Removing 'inout' as keyword

Also, 'inout' is easily greppable, and very likely is unique enough that
using nothing more than a global search/replace will work.