Extended Type Design.

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Fri Mar 16 12:38:00 PDT 2007

> Benji Smith wrote:
>> I should also add that, in my opinion, any design where "const" means
>> something other than "value resolved at compile time and immutable at
>> runtime" would be a mistake.
>
> Then how would you call "value that's not mutable through this alias" in
> a way that's not going to turn C++ immigrants away?
>
> Andrei

I have no special love (nor contempt, of course) for C++ immigrants and
don't really care whether D conforms to their expectations.

I thought the point of D was to fix broken constructs from C++, and most
C++ programmers I know consider its implementation of const (and
especially how casting affects const) to be one of the prime offenders.

--benji