Extended Type Design.

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Fri Mar 16 15:21:32 PDT 2007

>> But that's just me. Not everyone will agree with my opinion, and if
>> I'm not in the consensus, I'll concede. But there seem to be a lot of
>> people who agree with me.
>
> I don't think so. This discussion is very small in numbers, and the
> strength of the interlocutors' arguments does not increase their number.

What???? Blasphemy!!!!

>> I reiterate: "const" and "readonly" are the way to go. (Methods which
>> promise not to modify the values of their parameters should use
>> "readonly" rather than "const" in their method signatures.)
>
> This makes const gratuitously incompatible to C++'s const, and (worse)
> also adds a keyword that's its equivalent. I don't think this can fly.

Good point. I like kris's suggestion to get rid of the "const" keyword
entirely and replace it with something else ("constant" seems like a
reasonable suggestion). Here are some other synonyms for "constant":

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/constant

There might be something useful in there. I'm personally fond of "chronic".

:-)

--benji