the interesting and the sad

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 23:51:58 PDT 2007

kris wrote:
> you decide which is which:
>
> http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds10-4/firstlang.html
> http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/03/17/jack-thompson-responds-to-the-take-two-lawsuit

* reads ars technica one first *

... I don't think there's anything I could possibly say at this point.

I really hope he ends up in a padded room: for all our sakes.

* reads acm one *

Ok, I know COBOL was verbose... but that's ridiculous.  Also, am I the
only one annoyed that every time I read a topical article like this on
the web, no one bothers to mention *when* it was written?  I mean, how
the heck are you supposed to know if it's still relevant or not?

Since it doesn't mention D (or far worse: Python), I'm going to assume
it was written some time in the late Cretaceous period. :)

Other than that, an interesting read.  Thankfully D seems to fill most
of the requirements he mentions.

	-- Daniel

P.S. Yes, I spent 5 minutes writing this so that the right side of all
the paragraphs would line up nicely. :)

--
Unlike Knuth, I have neither proven or tried the above; it may not even
make sense.