the interesting and the sad

torhu fake at address.dude
Sun Mar 18 10:07:15 PDT 2007

kris wrote:
> you decide which is which:
>
> http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds10-4/firstlang.html

That guy dismisses Pascal as not being object-oriented, while the most
used Pascal dialects are, like Turbo (Object) Pascal, Delphi, etc.  'He
also claims that OO first appeared in Smalltalk in the 70's, while it
was really Simula in the 60's.

I guess your point is that he would have chosen D instead of C if he had
been aware of it?  I agree, but I feel that D relies too little on
pointers and too much on the GC to be used for teaching the basics of
memory handling.  I doesn't force people to be aware of what actually
happens.  But you should probably teach more than one language anyway.