Libraries?

David B. Held dheld at codelogicconsulting.com
Sun Mar 18 19:07:02 PDT 2007

torhu wrote:
> David B. Held wrote:
>> DTL looks like it was vaporware for 2+ years, and is now just barely
>> taking shape.  DWT went the way of the Dodo, and now we have DForms
>> and TioPort.  What's the deal?  Why was DWT abandoned?
>
> AFAIK, dtl is still a dead project.  DWT was abandoned by it's original
> author, and I don't think anyone else has been given write access to the
> repository.  And right now, everyone is probably waiting to see what
> will become of tioport.

Ok, but I think something that provides STL-like functionality is still
something that's pretty important to D.  At the least, I think it's a
good demonstration of the metaprogramming capabilities of D.  Is anyone
interested in creating one from scratch?

It looks to me like Tioport is an attempt to port the entire Java
standard library to D.  Is that correct?  That seems like an enormous
project, and given the speed of development in Java, one that is
never-ending.  It seems to me that using SWT is a fundamentally sound
approach, but just needs a kick-start.  Can we just steal DWT like it is
and branch it into a writable location?

Dave