Writing Bug-Free C/D Code

Knud Soerensen 4tuu4k002 at sneakemail.com
Sun Mar 18 19:46:57 PDT 2007

This morning I stumbled over a on-line book named "Writing Bug-Free C Code"
http://www.duckware.com/bugfreec/index.html
the gem of the book (chapter 4) is a way to implement an object model which
provide better data hiding than C++ classes.

It also gives advise like:
"Use a debugger only as a last resort. Having to resort to a debugger means
your programming methodologies have failed."
and
"When fixing a bug, fix the underlying problem or cause of the bug and not just the bug itself."

D already have many feature which help the programmer make lesser
bugs, but how can we make it even better ?

I think a good place to start is look at the last bugs reported by the
users in released D programs, and consider if it is coursed by some
fundamental flaw in D and what can be done to catch it earlier in
development.

Maybe we need a place to report and discus this type of bugs.
Is the newsgroup okay or would a bug-tracking system be a better option ?