handling T.min the right way

Pragma ericanderton at yahoo.removeme.com
Mon Mar 19 12:37:13 PDT 2007

> A while ago, C++ did the mistake of defining
> std::numeric_limits<T>::min() with a different semantics for
> floating-point types than for integral types. That hurt generic numeric
> code a lot.
>
> D has taken over the same mistake: T.min means the smallest value of the
> type, except for floating-point types, where it means the smallest
> positive value.
>
> The right way is to have T.min always return the minimum value (duh) and
> define a separate property T.min_positive.
>
> The question is, would a lot of code be hurt by such a change?
>

> Andrei

No issue here.  In fact, I've never used "double.min" for example - I'm suprised to hear that it's positive.

As much as I'd like to see D embrace camelCase for multi-word things, "foreach_reverse" has pretty much decided that one
for us - T.min_positive seems like a good addition to the language as any.  I gather this means that we'll also see a
t.max_negative to go along with it?
--
- EricAnderton at yahoo