stdio and Tango I/O performance

Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Mar 21 11:37:24 PDT 2007

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) wrote:
>
>> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:

>>> Then you should before making any sorts of comments in this vein. Maybe
>>> you even should have compared Tango's IO performance to Phobos' prior to
>>> making such huge efforts to improve on it (Phobos IO)?
>> Could you please put the gun down. Sheesh. Which comments? What vein? It
>> was a question. I simply asked whether there has been performance work
>> on Tango's I/O, without having any prior experience with it. I don't see
>> reason for anyone to get offended about that.
>
> No, I was not offended (not easily done), but I did find your wording
> suggestive. And you did give the impression that you had _some_ knowledge
> of Tango.
>
> As for that exact question; yes, performance is an important facet of Tango,
> IO likewise. Slow IO in Tango would be a defect. And it would be nice to
> have an unbiased comparison of the two.

Excellent! I have collected some data on stdio and a couple of
baselines, and I'll install Tango now. In fact I've already hit a hitch:
  README.txt sends the reader to
http://dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/TopicInstallTango which says one
should run ./lib/install-dmd.sh, which is not to be found in the
distribution... probably I'll need to set an account on dsource.org and
ask there.

Andrei