stdio performance in tango, stdlib, and perl

kris foo at bar.com
Wed Mar 21 18:28:36 PDT 2007

> kris wrote:
>
>> Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) wrote:
>>
>>> kris wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> Why not?
>>

>> If tango were terribly terribly slow instead, then it would be cause
>> for concern. If I have some program that needs to run faster I'll find
>> a way to do just that; another reason why tango.io is fairly modular
>

> That's great, but by and large, the attitude that "this is the simple
> version; if you want performance, you gotta work for it" is precisely
> what I don't like about certain languages and APIs. This is, for
> example, why not everybody really condemns C++ iostreams in spite of
> them being a pinnacle of counter-performance in any contest, be it
> beauty, size, or speed. People know that C++ can do fast I/O and are
> driven by the attitude that you gotta work for it - there's no other way.
>
> Just make the clear and simple code fastest. One thing I like about D is
> that it clearly strives to achieve best performance for simply-written
> code.

Oh, if there's any implication that Tango ought to be "faster" than it
is, then I suspect you're being unjust, Andrei. You'll be hard pressed
to find, for example, some routine that hits the heap where that should
be avoided. The library was built to avoid such pitfalls

That aside, tango.io appears to be fast enough and simple enough. The
fastest in this case, even, assuming we do something useful about the CR
chop, .newline is adjusted, or "\n" is used instead ;)

[snip]
>> Sure; could you submit a ticket for it, please, lest it fall by the
>> wayside?
>>
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/newticket
>

> For the \n, read/write, or both? :o)

Both, if you prefer?