too much sugar not good for the health

janderson askme at me.com
Thu Mar 22 00:08:11 PDT 2007

Falk-Florian Henrich wrote:
> Am Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:16:08 -0700 schrieb janderson:
>
>> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> Personally I don't think D is anywhere near the threshold of having to
>> much.  Take a look at the most successful langugage (English), it keeps
>> getting bigger and bigger every day.  We just don't have enough syntax
>> to describe everything.
>
> Without discussing what "successful" is supposed to mean in the realm of
> natural languages, I think the syntax of English is shrinking rather than
> growing. Plus, today's lingua franca is a tiny subset of English with a
> type discipline comparable to that of K&R C.
>
> Apart from that, I agree with you that D's syntax is a lot easier to
> understand than that of C++.
>
> Falk

By successful I mean most widely used, which is what we want D to become.

I guess, once a word is added to the English language it doesn't go away
  easily.  English reached the 1-million mark last year.  I've heard
that most people stick to around 2000 world in their everyday speak.  I
think languages will slowly converge into one universal language being
made up primarily of English (although its name may change).

I think programming languages and file formats will be one of the
biggest driving forces behind this.  Since most people want technology
and much of it is English at some level.

http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/Database/language.html

-Joel