stdio performance in tango, stdlib, and perl

kris foo at bar.com
Thu Mar 22 00:42:12 PDT 2007

[snip]
> Oh, but I forgot it's cheating: uses read/write so it's incompatible
> with C's stdio, which phobos is.

How can it possibly be "cheating" when the code was in place before you
contrived this test ;)

I think you have to stretch a bit to find some /common/ and truly valid
cases where what you refer to is important enough to warrant such
attention.

If it truly were to become an issue (people actually run into problems
with it on a regular basis) then tango.io could be changed to
special-case this kind of thing; but at this time we prefer to avoid
such things and adhere to the KISS principal instead.

FWIW, tango.io could trivially be sped up significantly on this 'test'
-- as it stands, the implementation is quite pedestrian in nature ;)