stdio performance in tango, stdlib, and perl

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 21:43:29 PDT 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:14:14 +0200, Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> 2) Pascal/Delphi/etc. have the ReadLn and WriteLn functions, but Pascal's ReadLn doesn't preserve line endings.
>
> That's a mistake, simple as that. Pascal has made many other similar
> mistakes, see http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/bwk-on-pascal.html.

<offtopic> That article has been written a quarter of a century ago, and doesn't really represent the state of the latest Pascal versions/implementations out there (the most prominent being Borland Delphi and FreePascal). That said, switching from Pascal to D is still quite a great experience for me nevertheless. </offtopic>

> "Just call chomp."

Ah, yes, missed that one.

<nitpick> But even so, you'd have to check for line endings twice - when reading the stdin stream, and when calling chomp ;) </nitpick>

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                          mailto:thecybershadow at gmail.com