Automated page translation with Google

Hasan Aljudy hasan.aljudy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 01:54:31 PDT 2007

Max Samukha wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 02:08:13 -0600, Hasan Aljudy
> <hasan.aljudy at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> I've been looking into adding buttons to the D web pages to do automatic
>>> translation to different languages. The trouble is, the google
>>> translator also attempts to translate the code blocks, resulting in a mess.
>>>
>>> Is there a css tag, hack, or trick to convince google translator to skip
>>> those sections?
>> Seeing as how automated translation is horrible at best, might as well
>> just drop the whole idea ...
>
> Agree. Most automated translations are funny and unreadable for native
> speakers (much funnier than my English writing). IMO, people won't
> read them at all or have fun and go away. It's definitely preferable
> to use translations done by native speakers.
>
> BTW, google translator unacceptably distorts the meaning of original
> Russian text (the translator is in beta, but I don't think it wil get
> improved much).

European languages might have a chance (since they supposedly are close
to English .. some how), I don't know about Russian, and I'm not sure
about Japanese either since its grammar is totally unrelated to English
.. but it's especially with Arabic that I know it's impossible to get a
good auto-translator anytime in the near future.