Automated page translation with Google

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Fri Mar 23 05:19:53 PDT 2007

Max Samukha wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:21:55 +0100, Roberto Mariottini
> <rmariottini at mail.com> wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> I've been looking into adding buttons to the D web pages to do automatic
>>> translation to different languages. The trouble is, the google
>>> translator also attempts to translate the code blocks, resulting in a mess.
>> The real trouble is that these translators are not good enough for
>> 'production'.

>> Here in Italy we laugh at sites automatically translated, we even signal
>> them to friends by e-mail.

> I suggest people in the NG have the D site's front page autotranslated
> into their language.

> How about other languages?

Google Translate does not support finnish yet, but I found
www.tranexp.com. Well, it does look a bit hilarious :D

Many of these online translators don't care about context at all. They
simply use a stupid mapping of original words to some bad translations.
Ok, here's part of the machine translated frontpage translated back to
english by me:

---

[Logo]
It takes to synchronize Sun (<- the one that shines in the sky) ...

D-LETTER Programming Use of language

<snip>

"excellent, reasonable what I-LETTER misses.. another D-LETTER home
programming" - Segfault

<snip>

You note: that's right, D-LETTER user accepts that staying with
downloading and treating D-letter, that is book knowledge D-LETTER
eyeglasses, he or she post statute explicit recognizes something redeem
so that intellectual real estate exactly with the help of publishing
right aka patent evaluation at home something keep synchronized, that is
emailed feedback fly so that Digital Mars.

--- end of bad translation

Probably the best part is the code example. I could not translate it w/o
LMAO.