stdio performance in tango, stdlib, and perl

Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Mar 23 11:04:59 PDT 2007

Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:
>> Neat! Now that we got the performance problem out of the way, let's
>> discuss stdio compatibility. I suggest you use getline on GNU platforms.
>>
>> Andrei
>
> Maybe discuss first why stdio compatibility is needed? Is the equivalent
> functionality missing in Tango, and if so, would implementing it in Tango
> remove this need for compatibility?

As long as the global "stdin" symbol is a FILE*, this would be highly
recommendable. And given that phobos does offer stdin as a FILE*, stdio
compatibility is important for programs that want to use phobos and
tango simultaneously (e.g., a library using phobos linked with another
one using tango).

Andrei