stdio performance in tango, stdlib, and perl

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 23 12:32:06 PDT 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> James Dennett wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> It might be harsh, but not entirely unjustified, to say
>> that the "conventional wisdom" of many communities of
>> programmers is a long, long way from being wise.  As
>> the community behind a language grows larger, there is
>> a natural tendency for it not to have some a density
>> of experts; if D amasses a million users it's a safe
>> bet than most of them won't be as sharp as the average
>> D user is today.

D bucks conventional wisdom in more than one way. There's a current
debate going on among people involved in the next C++ standardization
effort about whether to include garbage collection or not. The people
involved are arguably the top tier of C++ programmers.

But still, there are one or two that repeat the conventional (and wrong)
wisdom about garbage collection. Such conventional wisdom is much more
common among the general population of C++ programmers.

> I think there is a tendency to assume that APIs and languages which have
> (A) been around a long time and
> (B) been used by millions of people
> will probably be close to optimal.  It just makes sense that that would
> be the case.  Unfortunately, it's all too often just not true.

I just find it strange that C++, a language meant for building speedy
applications, would incorporate iostreams, which is slow, not thread
safe, and not exception safe.