too much sugar not good for the health

Ary Manzana ary at esperanto.org.ar
Fri Mar 23 18:11:08 PDT 2007

janderson escribió:
> Falk-Florian Henrich wrote:
>> Am Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:16:08 -0700 schrieb janderson:
>>
>>> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>>> Personally I don't think D is anywhere near the threshold of having to
>>> much.  Take a look at the most successful langugage (English), it keeps
>>> getting bigger and bigger every day.  We just don't have enough syntax
>>> to describe everything.
>>
>> Without discussing what "successful" is supposed to mean in the realm
>> of natural languages, I think the syntax of English is shrinking
>> rather than growing. Plus, today's lingua franca is a tiny subset of
>> English with a type discipline comparable to that of K&R C.
>>
>> Apart from that, I agree with you that D's syntax is a lot easier to
>> understand than that of C++.
>>
>> Falk
>
> By successful I mean most widely used, which is what we want D to become.

English is not succesful because of the language itself, but because of
other reasons (power, articles, books). Just like Java is succesful but
nowhere near because of the language (I guess VM, nice documentation
system, IDEs).

Maybe D should consider becoming succesful by other means besides of the
language itself? :-)

Ary