shebang launcher for D programs

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sat Mar 24 01:32:48 PDT 2007

> Which brings me to the question: what is the project style with D that
> people use?

Same as with C/C++, I am using sh/perl for scripting - or even lua/ruby.

> What tool(s) do you use, and in what sequence?

GNU make or IDEs, which calls upon either $DC - normally gdc (also dmd)

> The way I
> currently do things is, I have a bunch of modules in a directory tree
> and I import them in whichever programs I'm writing. I edit the program,
> save it, and then just start it (the .d program; the fact that object
> files and a binary executable are generated is entirely transparent)
> from the command line. I never need to explicitly compile or build
> anything, and I only see any messages (such as gcc's link command) when
> the program has an error.

I build the project and then install the import modules and libraries
into a system directory, like /usr/local/include/d and /usr/local/lib.
When it's finished, use something like RPM to package the binaries up...

Still haven't got the entire hang of using build or something like rdmd.
(prefer installing first, over linking to the source directory directly)
But at least they compile and work OK now, using rebuild and GDC rdmd...

But if there's any demand, rdmd could be added to the GDC distribution ?
For some tasks it is *very* useful, kinda like the gdmd syntax wrapper.
Bud or Rebuild are probably large enough to be separate installations.

Shouldn't add more than 250k to the gdcmac download (or 750k unpacked)

/usr/local/bin/rdmd: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/usr/local/bin/rdmd (for architecture i386):    Mach-O executable i386
/usr/local/bin/rdmd (for architecture ppc):     Mach-O executable ppc

--anders