stdio performance in tango, stdlib, and perl

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Sat Mar 24 21:18:36 PDT 2007

James Dennett wrote:

> It's not quite as simple as this.  One (possibly
> killer) argument for building synchronization into
> low-level libraries is to reduce the cost of
> dealing with support issues from bemused users
> who expected not to have to consider thread-safety
> when sharing streams between threads.

...since they obviously don't have to consider thread-safety when
sharing other objects between threads.  I'll admit that a global output
object might be seen as somehow magic to those who don't really
understand what 'cout' represents, for example, how much of a problem
would this really be?  The argument against building locking into C++
containers seems fairly well-settled, so why does there seem to be so
much contention about output?  Is it that producing predictable behavior
is easier or that the cost of locking is less of an issue since IO is
expensive anyway?

Sean