Automated page translation with Google

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Sun Mar 25 22:57:21 PDT 2007

Jan Claeys wrote:
> The Systran software they have licensed (not bought AFAIK) hasn't
> improved in any obvious way since the first time I used it something
> like 10 years ago...

That's disappointing.

> It's often usable if you want to get an impression of what a page talks
> about, but IMHO technical documentation requires accuracy.

I've used it to translate tech stuff from other languages into english,
and if one is careful to use it as a guide rather than gospel, it is
very useful.

(I once spent time in Japan working on porting software to various
Japanese computers. The only tech manuals available were written in
Japanese. I don't know more than 10 words of Japanese, but I was amazed
at how far I could get in understanding the manuals with just a hint
here and there - so I tend to regard even a ludicrously lame google
translation as a miracle <g>.)