Automated page translation with Google

Hasan Aljudy hasan.aljudy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 21:47:40 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Hasan Aljudy wrote:
>> and, interestingly enough, you can now "suggest a better translation"
>> for any piece of text that Google translates! I'm guessing it goes
>> through some sort of filtering mechanism then gets passed to the
>> statistical engine.
>>
>> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/suggest-better-translation.html
>
> Once again, harnessing the power of crowds!
>
> I wish they'd do the new translator for the rest of the languages, too.

I'm going over some small things, suggesting translations ..

Unfortunately the suggested translation doesn't show up instead of the
messed up one; I'm not sure what they do with the translations that
people suggest.

I think it'd be awesome if there was a wiki-like translation system with
such ajax powers .. man that would make collaborative translation very fun.

heh .. some translations are so funny ..
"Example: washroom" (yes, wc was translated to washroom!)

The real problem with translating technical papers is that some terms
simply have no agreed-upon translation. "Lazy Evaluation" for example ..
heck .. I don't know how to translate that! If I was writing an article
about it in Arabic, I'd simply leave it untranslated; that's what I've
always done with terms that don't have a translation.

Oh, gotta love this one .. "variadic templates"!! I don't even know what
variadic means to begin with; how am I gonna translate it? lol! it seems
that machine translator doesn't know either; it just transliterated it;
it also transliterated "tuples" and "mixins".

"D is statically typed, and compiles direct to native code." was
translated as:
"Dal static printed, and he collects direct for patriot law"
Where "Dal" is the Arabic letter that makes the "D" sound.