Language Shootout

David B. Held dheld at codelogicconsulting.com
Tue Mar 27 02:27:55 PDT 2007

janderson wrote:
> [...]
> There's something radically different about those 2 benchmarks.  I know
> Intel can be slow but 14times slower.  Either the algorithm is
> different, the input data is different, the machine configuration is
> massively different or AMD kicks ass for this algorithm.

The AMD is a 2.2 GHz Sempron while the Intel is a 2.0 GHz Pentium 4.
Just goes to prove that Intel really does need a much higher clock speed
to compete.  Memory and disk were otherwise the same, but who knows how
fast they were running the FSB or what the memory timings were.  They
also don't list cache sizes or speeds.  With 512 MB of RAM and careful
testing, I would hope that I/O doesn't play any role in the tests, but
you never know.

Dave