stdio line-streaming revisited

jcc7 technocrat7 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 12:49:21 PDT 2007

== Quote from kris (foo at bar.com)'s article
> Frits van Bommel wrote:
> [snip]
> > What I'm trying to say here is basically this: you shouldn't rely on the
> > order of evaluation of parameters. Not even if one of them happens to be
> > used as 'this' for the method in question.
> Absolutely agree. Yet, without wishing to go off on a tangent, we're
> talking about call-chaining and not parameter evaluation-order. These
> are different things, and there was a painfully long thread on exactly
> this subject a year or two ago.
> Walter closed that one by stating call-chaining can only realistically
> evaluate from left to right (or something to that effect) and that's
> what D does.
> I'm sure JCC could locate that thread in a heartbeat ... don't know > how he
does that, but he sure is effective at it :)

These days, I Usually just use Google and restrict it to www.digitalmars.com (such
as the search box on the Digital Mars webpage does).

I can't seem to track down this one though. My technique works best when I
actually remember the particular post or discussion (and it works really well when
I remember that I myself posted in the discussion). And I don't really remember
this discussion.

Do you happen to remember who Walter was replying to? That could be helpful. I
can't seem to find the right keywords to find the particular topic. I tried
various combinations of "newshound" (Walter's e-mail), "evaluation", "order",
"operator", "operation", "call", "chain", "return", "function", etc. Also,
sometimes it's helpful if I know when the discussion took place (Last month? Last
year? 2005?). But this might just be a needle that remains hidden in the haystack.

Perhaps we can just talk Walter into putting this principle in the D Specification. ;)

jcc7