How to debug in Visual studio?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 02:44:42 PDT 2007

Jascha Wetzel wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>> Messy, but it works.  I'd kill to have a better debugging environment,
>> but I somehow doubt that's going to happen.  *sigh*
>
> i'd suggest http://ddbg.mainia.de/
> i might go as far as to claim that it's
> better than windbg.

Clearly you have an unbiased opinion on the matter :P

The problem with ddbg is that it doesn't have the... well, I can't say
"nice" since the windbg GUI is rubbish... GUI that windbg offers.  I
always tend to get lost with the interactive text debuggers. [1]

The *second* problem is that I'm coding in DWEB.  What happens here is
that my source .dw file is tangled into a .d file, which is then
compiled.  So when I go to debug, instead of displaying the line in my
original source file, it displays the line in the horrific, unreadable
mess that is the .d file.

Basically, every single time I recompile, I have to go in, delete the .d
files, and copy the .dw files to .d files in order to get the right
lines to show up. [2]

So yeah; debugging at the moment is a major pain the posterior.  I doubt
ddbg would help, but in all fairness, it wasn't designed for quite my
circumstances :P

Thankfully though, windbg doesn't seem to care so long as the debugging
information is present.

	-- Daniel

[1] That said, ddbg works beautifully with Code::Blocks.  A pity, then,
that Code::Blocks is incapable of passing arguments to the D compiler at
the moment, which makes it totally useless... -_-

Also a pity that probably can't even understand my particular source
files (see second problem above).

[2] Yes, D encodes the *correct* line number, but the *wrong* filename!
 I posted a request to fix this, and never got a single reply :'(

--
int getRandomNumber()
{

http://xkcd.com/