How to debug in Visual studio?

Jascha Wetzel "[firstname]" at mainia.de
Fri Mar 30 04:05:06 PDT 2007

Daniel Keep wrote:
> Clearly you have an unbiased opinion on the matter :P

obviously ;)

> The problem with ddbg is that it doesn't have the... well, I can't say
> "nice" since the windbg GUI is rubbish... GUI that windbg offers.  I
> always tend to get lost with the interactive text debuggers. [1]

i also use GUIs for debugging, since i feel the command line isn't
concise enough when debugging larger programs.
i didn't write a GUI for ddbg, though, because they are a matter of
taste and it's more flexible to have a debugger that integrates in
different GUIs. that said, as of now, there clearly aren't enough GUIs
you can use ddbg with (codeblocks and zeus only afaik). but codeblocks
appears to be quite solid atm.

> The *second* problem is that ... my source .dw file is tangled into a .d file ...

i could easily add an option to ddbg that will take care of that. i just
wonder: are the lines in the .dw files the same as in the .d files, just
with code added on the same line? else the line numbers couldn't be the
same.
with translation of the file extension, you should also be able to use
codeblocks to debug .dw files.

> [1] That said, ddbg works beautifully with Code::Blocks.  A pity, then,
> that Code::Blocks is incapable of passing arguments to the D compiler at
> the moment, which makes it totally useless... -_-

hm, i may misunderstand you, but there's a text field where you can add
any option that will be passed on to DMD in build options > compiler
settings > other options - this is per target.
there can also be custom build commands per file.

> Also a pity that probably can't even understand my particular source
> files (see second problem above).

if by "understand" you mean syntax sensitive editing stuff, the .dw
extension can be added in settings > editor > syntax highlighting >
filemasks. these filemasks are also used for goto function, code
completion etc.