How to debug in Visual studio?

Jascha Wetzel "[firstname]" at mainia.de
Fri Mar 30 05:57:44 PDT 2007

Daniel Keep wrote:

> Not even close.  CWEB (and DWEB, which is based on CWEB) are for
> literate programming.  Here's a sample:

this is neat, i'm likely to check this out in detail soon.

> Which is what's weird: DMD outputs the correct line number, but the
> *wrong filename*, which is really what's causing problems.

this appears to be resolved in another branch of this thread.

> Yes, the option is there, but in the builds I've used, it doesn't work.
>  Basically, Code::Blocks chews up any additional options you add, and
> dumps them into the "Defines" section... which isn't used by DMD, so the
> options are ignored.  I've already filed a ticket on it, so it will
> hopefully be fixed sometime soon.

ic - it worked for the simple cases that i had so far. besides the
problems that CB still has with this, you can also use rebuild or
similar. simply set the rebuild call to be the custom build step and
remove all files from the target, such that the CB builder won't do
anything for them.
i'm using this on one project and i'm thinking about making it my default.

> As you can see above, getting it to highlight the D code is the easy
> part.  Getting it to highlight the *TeX* code at the same time, let
> alone make *sense* of the file; that's the hard part ;)

oh, ok - but since we started comparing CB+Ddbg to WINDBG, it still
looks good ;)

> FYI, I'm currently using a hacked version of VIM's CWEB syntax files,
> modified to load the D syntax file instead of the C one, so the
> highlighting mostly works.  I've never really missed the code completion
> stuff: I have all my code modules as indexed and cross-referenced PDFs :P

the main syntax feature i use is "goto declaration". makes browsing the
code a lot faster.

VIM could actually work with Ddbg btw. AFAIK it has GDB support, and
could therefore get along with Ddbg in GDB mode. If not it still might
when i get to implement the GDB/MI interface, which will be sooner the
more editors/IDEs and people need it.