How to debug in Visual studio?

Jascha Wetzel "[firstname]" at mainia.de
Fri Mar 30 08:54:39 PDT 2007

dmd produces OMF files with CodeView debug symbols in "version" NB09,
sometimes called CodeView 4.10 or CodeView 4 (which is misleading, since
NB08 is also a CodeView 4 format) according to the version of the MS
debugger that corresponds to that format version.
there are two flavours of NB09 symbols. one with 16bit indeces and one
with 32bit indeces.

external debug symbols (.pdb files) are labeled NB10. the external file
then contains NB09 or NB11 data. NB11 uses 32bit indeces only. it has
been introduced with VC5.
support for 16bit NB09 seems to have silently vanished from the MS
debuggers after that. the old version of WINDBG that comes with DMD and
the internal debugger from VS6 seem to be the last versions that support it.
curiously, i tried WINDBG versions older than the one from the DMD
distribution and they didn't support 16bit NB09 either - messy...

Ddbg supports 16bit NB09 of course, since it's tailored to DMD
...mandatory footnote ;)