bad behaviour and manipulation

Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Mar 31 02:54:11 PDT 2007

kris wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) wrote:
>> John Reimer wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>> Andrei does come across as having an agenda.  I can accept that given
>>> his
>>> position in the influence of D; but it's becoming very hard to separate
>>> truth from perspective in all these posts.  Why is it wrong to state
>>> that
>>> Andrei has an agenda?  He does, doesn't he?  Are we all afraid to
>>> admit it?
>>> I just don't think he's going about it very honestly. If he were trully
>>> seeking to be helpful to Tango design ideas, he would be contributing
>>> over
>>> in the Tango forums... Since he doesn't do that, it's quite easy to see
>>> why one might think he has an agenda... and not in Tango's favour.
>>>
>>> Andrei does tend to push his preferences on the community. That
>>> deserves to be balanced.  Kris, Sean, and others have been doing
>>> their best
>>> to be clear and fair in regards to addressing Tango "propaganda"; if
>>> Andrei makes allegations about Tango, they are obligated to
>>> either defend design decisions or accept recommendations as feasible and
>>> beneficial.  I think they've been doing a very good job of both given
>>> the
>>> circumstances.  Are people not noticing this?
>>> I don't recall ever seeing Andrei admit he is wrong without some
>>> equivication or deflection. If he does, it's often hidden in some sorty
>>> joke or distraction. He's just not a straight forward person, plain and
>>> simple.  Either that or he has trouble with humility.
>>>
>>> He's got oodles of creativity, good ideas, experience... and personal
>>> opinions (like many here) and maybe even a little bit of academic
>>> rigour to
>>> back him up :). He makes tons of :O) faces. But these matter little,
>>> if he
>>> serves his own preferences, his own interests, and his own agenda.
>>> Maybe
>>> I got him wrong, but from what I've seen, I doubt it.
>>

>> The only civilized response I can imagine to this is killfiling
>> sender's address. It's understandable for anyone to get heated and
>> make a few ad hominem arguments in the midst of a heated argument. But
>> to actually sit down and build an entire web of assumptions leading to
>> sweeping personality judgments, that's just shady.
>
> This "shady" claim is surely an outrageous manipulation coming from
> someone who has recently exhibited the attributes of a troll?
>
> JJR is one of the finest and fairest people who hang around here; he's
> known to be a humble and caring individual, with a certain distaste for
> confrontation.
>
> For him to write what he did indicates a level of discontent beyond the
> pale, and it seems evident that this "web of assumptions" you lay at his
> feet is something instigated and shaped by your own hand.

> [...]

Ehm. It's much simpler than that. The problem with calumny, as opposed
to a technical argument, is that there is little meaningful defense one
can put forth, particularly in a newsgroup setting. That's why in any
newsgroup debate sticking to the technical argument is important, while
attacking the person is just an unprofessional cheap shot. The suggested
exercise of putting oneself on the receiving position of a personal
attack was meant to reveal exactly this issue (not posing as a victim
etc.).

However contradictory a technical argument might get, it just works to
follow this simple policy - stick to the technical points being made by
others, and put forth technical points as well. Progress can be made and
everybody can leave the discussion enriched. This has made my and
others' participation to moderated newsgroup enjoyable and productive -
indeed, I can't imagine myself programming in C++ or in general without
the newsgroups comp.lang.c++.moderated or comp.std.c++. It looks,
however, that on an unmoderated newsgroup technical ability is second to
the willingness of using potshots and personal attacks in winning an
argument.

You've said heavy words that were uncalled for, and I hope with time
you'll acquire the decency to wish you hadn't. I won't be part of this
bashing contest though; it's just silly and doesn't bring any good to
anybody, so I'll sign off.

Andrei
--
Canis latrent, sed transigo acies.