Newsgroups & Discussions

Justin C Calvarese technocrat7 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 21:21:17 PDT 2007

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Alexander Panek wrote:
>> Hello NG citizens,

> I think (or should I say, my guess is) that it's about the recent shift
> of power in D development. In the old days, it was this NG, and none but
> this NG that was the source, the forum and the ultimate judge, of what
> was and was not to become D features.

The newsgroup was the place to discuss possible changes, but there was
no confusion that Walter was the one who made the actual decision.

> Today, it seems, the majority of new decisions are created outside this
> NG, and handed to us "as given". And most of the time it's Andrei that
> first tells us about the things.

The majority of new decisions have always been made outside of the
newsgroup, but we'd all find out when we read Walter's surprising post
in the newsgroup.

But now it seems like Walter has a spokesperson who makes the
announcements for him.

> I would downright expect this to *piss off* quite some participants. I
> for myself have taken a vacation here (as the regulars probably have
> noticed) because I feel D is in /very good and competent hands now/.
>
> Before Walter brought Andrei really into this, I kept writing that we
> really need some Academic Rigor, Thorough Insight, and Profound
> Diligence, at this stage of D development. After some 12-18 months of
> this, Andrei suddenly started participating. Thank you, Walter!
>
> I think that JCC could corroborate this by finding the appropriate
> quotes (man, did I ever see a person more adept at that! But, please
> don't do it JCC, this time I'm rhetoric!)

There's no need to drag me into this. I'll let you do your own research. ;)

I don't know what's going on here. I've known Kris and John for quite a
while from their involvement in D projects, and I trust that they don't
have any agenda except to improve D and spread the joy of D. But other
people might have other goals.

In any case, I don't see any signs that the D community is splitting
into 2 factions (as the OP seems to suggest): pro-Phobos and pro-Tango
(or anti-Tango and pro-Tango). If anything, it just seems to be some
sort of nebulous disagreement between Kris and Andrei.

--
jcc7