D vs VM-based platforms

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue May 1 06:45:16 PDT 2007

Dave wrote:
> gareis wrote:
>> Sean Kelly wrote:
>>> That said, JIT optimization is still a relatively new practice, and
>
> But the optimizations are the same (basically), and the best and
> brightest have been at it for years. I'd venture a guess that more has
> been / still is being spent on VM research rather than static compiler
> research. Over roughly the past 10 years, I've seen several articles
> promising Java would exceed C and Fortran in 'a year or two'. A couple
> of years later I also recall finding some pretty large performance
> regressions between major releases of their Java VM. I still think 1.3
> does some things better than 1.6 and it's been, what, 5 years?
> Interestingly, Sun is still improving their static compiler tools though.

That's because (I suspect) most of Sun's big customers use their static
compilers.  On Java speed... I still debug in emacs instead of using Sun
Studio because the latter is irritatingly slow.  Java may have the
potential to produce fast code, but I wish that were more evident in the
performance of Java UI apps I've used.  This may be entirely a problem
with Swing or whatever, but appearances count.

Sean