D vs VM-based platforms

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Tue May 1 12:43:16 PDT 2007

BCS wrote:
> Reply to Benji,
>
> [...]
>
> Most of your rebuttal basically says that programs in VM can do X
> without the coder having to do something different than they would if
> they didn't do X. There is (lots of big problems aside) a simple
> solution to this problem in native code: Don't allow the coder to NOT do
> X, requiter that all classes be COM objects, always compile in debugging
> and profiling symbols, heck maybe even a full net-centric debugger. It
> seams to me (and I could be wrong) that the way that the VM languages
> get all of these advantages of these options is by not making them
> options, they are requirements.
>
> The only case that all of that doesn't cover is sand boxing. Well,
> something is going to have to run in native code, so why not make native
> code safe? Allow a process to span off a thread that is native code but
> sand boxed: some OS API's don't work, it has a Read Only or no access to
> some part of ram that the rest of the process can access. In short If
> security is such a big deal, why is the VM doing it instead of the OS?

Sure. Fair enough. You *could* maybe do all of that stuff with native
code, if only someone had ever implemented it.

...Shrug...

Rather than speculating on what's theoretically possible in a natively
compiled platform, I'm pointing out some of the advantages that exist
*today* in VM-based platforms.

I never claimed those advantages outweighed the considerable advantages
of native compilation. I'm just saying...there are some features that
are *currently* being routinely provided in VM platforms that don't yet
exist when you're compiling code to a native platform.

Jeez. Talk about throwing stones in glass houses...

--benji