D vs VM-based platforms

Tom tom at nospam.com
Tue May 1 13:53:41 PDT 2007

Dave escribió:
> Tom wrote:
>> Mike Parker escribió:
>>> Tom wrote:
[...]
>> I've seen no big games written in Java/C# (so I can't really hold a
>> position on this ground). Though I've seen *A LOT* of server/client
>> apps done in Java. The speed *IS* a concern, believe me. They ARE
>> definitely slow in comparison to C/C++ apps.
>>

> Ok, I know Perl is specialized for this type of thing (with many of the
> libs. written in C), but for small programs handling large chunks of
> data, Java has rarely been a consideration in the shops I've recently
> worked at. And believe me, it's not for lack of trying because it's
> easier to find decent Java hackers than good C or Perl hackers, IME.
>
> I remember actually scripting something like:
>
> if(file_size > X)
>   java -server -XmsY -XmxZ App
> else
>   java -client App
>
> and having to experiment to set X, Y and Z, and Perl still worked
> better. What a PITA.
>
> More of the same w/ .NET (speed critical stuff in native C++), although
> the .NET GC is very good and generally hard to beat with hand-crafted
> mem. mgmt. (again IME).

I love Perl, but once the project surpasses X lines of code (i.e. gets bigger enough), dynamic
typing is just prohibitive.

C# seems "a little" faster than Java, though I didn't give it much of a chance yet. Then, if I had
all the same advantages in D that I have with Java/C# (IDE, frameworks, libs, etc.), I would choose
D without hesitation. ;)

Tom;
(Tomás Rossi)