D vs VM-based platforms

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue May 1 14:36:54 PDT 2007

Benji Smith wrote:

> Lots of great info. Thanks. I didn't know that the x86 had support for
> profiling, debugging, sandboxing, etc.
>
> I'd actually argue, though, that these kinds of features are actually VM
> features, even if they have actually been implemented on silicon.

Since the name "virtual machine" implies the virtualization of a
machine, it seems reasonable that a good VM would provide all the
features normally found in a non-virtual (ie. real) machine.  Why should
these features be offered only in software?  Particularly at a time
where hardware support for VMs is being explicitly added to hardware to
improve performance?

Sean