D vs VM-based platforms

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Thu May 3 12:24:11 PDT 2007

Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:

> Yeah, of course it makes sense. Let's abstract away the underlying hardware
> & operating system and lock people on this new highly portable platform
> with IP stuff, patents and DMCA. Problem solved.

To be fair, Ms does target ARM as well, for its handheld devices.
Though I wonder if those devices have a full .NET VM.  In any case,
pre-generating binary code is obviously more efficient, so why not use
it for a VM?  The original point of .NET is a COM replacement anyway,
regardless of how things have been spun.

> It's interesting to see how much effort MS has put into .NET platform and
> language research (well, except Java for some unknown reason :P) lately. I
> don't think they will be giving it all away for free.

They have to.  The CLI is an open standard.  They may choose to sell
their implementation of it of course, but they can't forbid anyone from
implementing a compatible VM.

Sean